Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Children Born Overseas

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

Transmission of Citizenship

To transmit U.S. citizenship to your child, you must show that you meet the basic physical presence transmission requirements for your particular situation.  By law, there are different transmission requirements depending upon the U.S. parent’s gender and marital status.  Following is a brief description of the transmission requirements for each situation, and additional detailed information about citizenship matters is also available from the Department of State's Citizenship and Nationality webpage.

Birth to a U.S. Citizen Parent Married to Alien Parent, or Birth to an Unmarried U.S. Citizen Father

A U.S. citizen parent may transmit citizenship if s/he has been physically present in the United States for a certain amount of time prior to the child’s birth.  For children born on or after November 14, 1986, the citizen parent must prove that s/he was physically present in the U.S. for 5 years, 2 of which were after age 14.  It is important to recognize that the burden of proof is on the applicant.  Physical presence may be proven by presenting a combination of records such as school transcripts, social security statements, old and current passports, etc., to show that the physical presence requirement has been met.

Birth to Two U.S. Citizen Parents

A child born to two U.S. citizen parents abroad acquires citizenship at birth, so long as either parent had a residence in the United States or its possessions sometime before the child’s birth.  There is no specific length of physical presence required.

Birth to Unmarried U.S. Citizen Mother

An unmarried U.S. citizen mother may transmit citizenship to a child born abroad if she has been physically present in the United States for a certain amount of time prior to the child’s birth.  For children born on or after November 14, 1986, the mother must prove that she was physically present in the U.S. for a minimum period of one continuous year.  It is important to recognize that the burden of proof is on the applicant.  Physical presence may be proven by presenting a combination of records such as school transcripts, old and current passports, vaccination records, etc., to show that the physical presence requirement has been met.

Reporting the Birth of a Child Abroad

The birth of a child abroad to a U.S. citizen parent should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest U.S. consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth.  The official U.S. record is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for a citizen of the United States of America.  A primary requirement to qualify for a CRBA is that the U.S. citizen parent was a citizen before the birth of the child.  The document, referred to as the CRBA or FS-240, is considered a vital United States citizenship document.  An original FS-240 is furnished to the parent(s) if the registration is approved.

Step 1: Complete the applications

  • Form DS-2029 (PDF-1,004 Kb): Application for Consular Report of Birth
  • Form DS-5507 (PDF-165 Kb): Statement of Financial Support

Step 2: Gather the required documentation

  • Child's Original Peruvian Birth Certificate:  This is the Peruvian birth certificate issued by RENIEC.  The document must show the parents' names. 
  • Certificate of Live Birth:  This is issued by the clinic/hospital at the time of birth.
  • Pre-Natal and Post-Natal Medical Evidence: This can be the mother’s pregnancy book/records issued by a doctor, clinic, or hospital.
  • Evidence of Parents' Citizenship and Identity: Your current passport is the preferred form of proof.  Your U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable, but you must also present photo identification.
  • If you are married, we need to see your original certificate issued by local, state, or national government authorities. If married in the United States, please provide a state certificate issued by the civil authorities.
  • If you have prior marriages, we need to see your original divorce decree, annulment, or the death certificate.  
  • Proof that the U.S. citizen parent has lived in the United States long enough to transmit citizenship to his/her child.  How long is long enough?  That will depend on whether the parents are married, and whether one or both is a U.S. citizen.  For detailed information on transmission of citizenship and the physical presence requirements, please refer to "Transmission of Citizenship" above.

    Please remember to bring all required application forms and documentation with you to the appointment.  If you do not, you may be required to schedule a new interview.  Please bring the original and a photocopy of each document.

Step 3: Schedule an appointment

    In order to provide better customer service to our smallest clients, all applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) will be made through our special family appointment system.  To schedule or cancel an appointment, please click here.

Step 4: Attend the appointment and pay the fee

  • Both biological parents and the child are required to come to the interview
  • The fee is US$100.00.  Payment is made on the day of the appointment at the Embassy.  At the present time, only cash payments can be accepted (in U.S. Dollars or Peruvian Nuevos Soles).  Credit card payments will be unavailable until further notice.  We are not authorized to accept personal checks, money orders or banker's drafts.

Processing Time

If your application is approved, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate will be issued within 3 weeks of the date of the interview.  If you are required to bring additional evidence to comply with U.S. law, you will have 90 days from the date of the interview to submit the evidence.

Child’s first U.S. passport

If you wish to apply for your child's first passport you may do so at the same appointment.  For passport information refer to the Passport for Minors under 16 page.

Social Security Card

You can apply for a Security Card for your child after a CRBA and a passport are received.  You can make an appointment to apply for the Social Security card and pick up the approved CRBA and passport at the same time; for instructions on how to make an appointment, please click here

Peruvian Passport Requirement

A child born in Peru is not allowed to depart Peru on a U.S. Passport.  For information on how to apply for a Peruvian passport, please contact Migraciones Peru.

Replace or Ammend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

You may find detailed information on how to replace or ammend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) at the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.