Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Child and Family Matters

Child and Family Matters


The U.S. Embassy Lima assists in cases of international parental child abduction in coordination with the Peruvian Central Authority, Ministerio de la Mujer y Poblaciones Vulnerables (MIMP), and the U.S. central authority, the Office of Children's Issues in the Bureau of Consular Affairs at the Department of State.  Our main concern is the welfare of the abducted child.

For more information please review the International Parental Child Abduction website

If you need immediate assistance from the U.S. Embassy regarding a potential child abduction, please email or call us at [011] (51-1) 618-2000. 


If you would like information on adoption, please see the State Department website here.

Traveling with a Minor

Minor children with Peruvian citizenship traveling with only one or neither legal parent or legal guardian are required to have authorization from the non-traveling parent/guardian(s).

  • In Peru, the non-traveling parent/guardian(s) can complete this process at most public notaries or through travel authorization issued by a family court.
  • If located in the United States, the non-traveling parent/guardian(s) must visit the nearest Peruvian Consulate and complete a Permiso Notarial de Viaje.  Please be aware that these authorizations are valid for 30 days and for one trip only.

If the minor child has only one legal parent or guardian, the traveling parent/guardian must present evidence of sole custody, as well as a completed Permiso Notarial de Viaje from a Peruvian notary or a Peruvian Consulate in the United States.

Peruvian immigration will not allow a child with Peruvian citizenship to depart Peru without the appropriate Permiso Notarial de Viaje, and the Embassy is unable to assist travelers who are prevented from traveling due to not having this document, even if the child is a dual citizen of Peru and the United States.