eLibraryUSA: Virtual Library
eLibraryUSA is a virtual library with online access to millions of publications, scholarly journals, eBooks, audio, video, and other multi-media content. This virtual library is targeted towards audiences looking to do research, like high school and university students, teachers, professors, government officials, and journalists, among others.
Through eLibraryUSA you can access content in databases like Gale, Encyclopedia Britannica, eBrary, CQ and others specializing in diverse topics (including science, technology, environment, health, social sciences, literature, economics, business administration, English learning, history, and American culture). Although the majority of the content is offered in English only, some is also available in Spanish.
You can enter the homepage (http://elibraryusa.state.gov ) freely in order to learn more about the different types of resources offered; however, a username and password is required in order to gain full access the content in eLibraryUSA.
How can I obtain full access to eLibraryUSA?
There are two ways you can obtain full access to this virtual library:
- From a library located at a Peruvian-American Cultural Center affiliated with the US Embassy (Bi-national Centers).
The Bi-national Centers libraries offer the general public full access to eLibraryUSA. Please contact any of the following Centers in order to find the location and working hours of its corresponding library:
- Instituto Cultural Peruano Norteamericano (ICPNA). Branches located in different districts of Lima: Miraflores, San Miguel, Los Olivos, Cercado de Lima, La Molina.
- Centro Cultural Peruano Norteamericano (Cultural). Branches located in Arequipa, Puno, Tacna, and Ilo.
- El Cultural - Centro Peruano Americano. Branch located in Trujillo.
- Instituto Cultural Peruano Norteamericano Chiclayo (ICPNA Chiclayo). Branches located in Chiclayo and Cajamarca.
- Instituto Cultural Peruano Norteamericano Cusco (ICPNA Cusco). Branches located in Cusco and Puerto Maldonado.
- Instituto Cultural Peruano Norteamericano – Región Centro (ICPNA-RC). Branch located in Huancayo.
- Instituto Cultural Peruano Norteamericano – Región Grau (ICPNA – RG). Branch located in Piura. Phone: (073) 33-1360.
- By becoming a member of the Information Resource Center of the United States Embassy.
Information Resource Center (IRC) membership is free and will let you acquire a personal username and password which grants full access to eLibraryUSA from any computer with an Internet connection. In order to become a member, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Send an email to email@example.com with the subject “eLibraryUSA.”
- Include this information in the body of the email:
- Full name
- Fields of interest: Environment/Science and technology/Economics and Commerce/Politics/Education/Libraries/Press and Communications
- Once membership is processed, you will receive an e-mail with your username and password.
- In order to login to eLibraryUSA, enter http://elibraryusa.state.gov and insert the username and password when prompted.
IMPORTANT: Each username and password is personal and not transferable to any other party. Using an account in order to grant large-scale institutional access to others is strictly prohibited.