Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Emergency Services

Emergency Services

If you are a U.S. citizen with a life or death emergency, please call our hotline at: [011] (51-1) 618-2000.  An embassy duty officer is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Please note that passports can only be replaced during office hours.

For more information on assistance the Embassy can and cannot provide in a crisis, click here.  Also, visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website for information on how to get help in an emergency, and regarding U.S. citizens missing abroad

Information regarding legal permanent residents

For information regarding legal permanent residents of the United States, please visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.  Their walk-in hours are Tuesday and Thursday, from 8:30am to 11:00am.  You may also email them at

Visa-related inquiries

Please note that American Citizen Services staff are prohibited from responding to visa-related inquiries.  Be advised that, per U.S. law, your status as a U.S. citizen does not entitle you to demand a visa for a non-U.S. citizen.  Visa applications are vetted through the designated office.  All visa-related inquiries should be directed to the visa section.

American Citizen Services

Read below for information about emergency services that the American Citizen Services unit provides to U.S. citizens travelling or residing in Peru.

  • Arrest of U.S. Citizens

    Arrest of U.S. Citizens

    • Upon notification by Peruvian authorities of the arrest of a U.S. citizen, a Consular Officer will visit any U.S. citizen arrested in Peru to:

      • • Ascertain the arrestee's physical well-being and conditions of arrest.
      • • Provide information on legal procedures, including a list of attorneys.
      • • Subject to Privacy Act restrictions, notify family or friends.  

      Consular Officers cannot:

      • • Act as translators, attorneys or legal representatives. A list of Peruvian attorneys who have indicated some level of English proficiency and an interest in working with American citizens is available from consular officials.
      • • Get a U.S. citizen released from jail.

      U.S. citizens living or traveling in Peru are subject to Peruvian laws and regulations.  U.S. citizens should view with extreme skepticism any offer of free travel to Peru, including courier services.  U.S. citizens should never transport anything not their own back to the United States or to another country.  Anyone arrested on drug charges, regardless of nationality, suffers protracted pre-trial detention in poor prison conditions.  Sentencing alone can take up to three years.  Offers by drug traffickers to get "burriers" (drug mules) out of jail often prove to be false.  When in Peru you are subject to the jurisdiction of Peruvian law for offenses committed in Peru.  The penalties for possession, trafficking or use of narcotics are severe.  Please see the State Department publications "Assistance to U.S. Citizens Arrested Abroad" and "Drugs Abroad".

  • Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad

    Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad

    • The U.S. Embassy in Lima serves the families of U.S. citizens who die in Peru.

      We can help:

      • • Locate and notify the next-of-kin of the deceased
      • • Inform families about the Peruvian legal requirements for claiming a loved one's remains, and
      • • Assist in shipping personal effects to the United States.

      In addition, the American Citizen Services unit will issue 15 copies of the Consular Report of Death Abroad.  This document is issued based on the Peruvian death certificate, and this document can be used in most legal proceedings in the United States as proof of death overseas. 

      To prepare this document, Embassy staff will need the following:

      • • Death certificate (RENIEC)
      • • Doctor’s report with cause of death
      • • U.S. passport of the person that passed away
      • • Next-of-kin’s ID and document that proves relationship to deceased

      It is critical that families hire a funeral home to help them carry out funeral arrangements.  The Embassy maintains a list of funeral homes that have been used by U.S. citizens in Peru.  Funeral services and preparations are carried out in accordance with the laws and facilities available in Peru, but in some cases they may fall short of those expected in the United States.  Please email for a list of funeral homes.

      The next-of-kin is responsible for all costs of the funeral home, and/or shipment of remains or personal effects.  Please be aware that Peruvian authorities will often request identification documents for both the next-of-kin and the decedent, such as passports, birth certificates, or marriage certificates. 

      You can view the Disposition of Remains Report here (PDF 49 KB).
  • Medical Services

    Medical Services

    • The Embassy is not authorized to provide a physician or medical facilities to treat the general public.  However, for your convenience, the Embassy provides a list of medical resources located in Peru.  The Embassy does not assume any responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms listed.  Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department of State or U.S. Embassy Lima.

      Acceptable medical and dental care is available in Lima but varies in other areas, especially in rural zones.  Physicians, dentists, clinics and hospitals usually expect immediate cash deposits to perform health services. U.S. medical insurance is not always valid outside the United States.  The Medicaid-Medicare program does not provide payment for services outside the United States.  In some cases, medical insurance with specific overseas and medical evacuation coverage has proved useful.  Medical facilities in Peru require you to pay before being released.

      For information on health risks, travelers can review the Centers for Disease Control's website for travelers.

      See the State Department publication "Health: What You Need to Know in Advance of Travel".

  • Victims of Crime

    Victims of Crime

    • The American Citizen Services section can assist you in replacing your U.S. passport

      One of the first things you should do in the event of a robbery or theft is to report the loss to the police.  The police report is essential in order to replace your Peruvian entry stamp from Peruvian Immigration, and may be needed for any insurance claims that you may make. 

      You might also want to take care of canceling stolen credit cards, replacing travelers' checks, etc.  Following are contact numbers for selected credit card companies: 


      Local Phone

      U.S. Phone

      American Express


      (1-905) 471-9280
      (1-800) 668-2639

      Diner’s Club


      (1-303) 792-0629



      (1-636) 722-7111
      (0-800) 307-7309


      Call the local bank

      (410) 581-9754
      (410) 581-0120

      See the State Department publication "Help for American Victims of Crime Overseas."

      Financial Assistance

      One of the fastest ways to obtain cash is by Western Union wire transfer from a friend or relative in the United States.  Western Union offices are located throughout Peru, and the transfer time is only a matter of minutes in most cases.  More information can be found on their website or by calling 1-800-325-6000 from the United States.

      More information about sending money to U.S. citizens overseas is available here.

      Under certain limited circumstances, the Embassy can make emergency loans to assist destitute American citizens with their return to the United States.  Please see "Destitution and Repatriation" below for more information.

      SCAMS in Peru: If you have been contacted to send money to a loved one in Peru, please see the link below first!  Criminals commonly attempt to scam money from travelers' family members by posing as the traveler and claiming to be in trouble.  To learn more about this and other scams, please see the Department of State Fraud Warning.
  • Destitution and Repatriation

    Destitution and Repatriation

    • Under certain limited circumstances, the Embassy can make emergency loans to assist destitute U.S. citizens to return to the United States.  Destitution is an extreme situation in which a person has little or no visible means of support or liquid assets, and no one (family, friends, neighbors, employers, charitable groups, etc.) willing and able to provide adequate financial assistance. 

      A promissory note must be signed before such a loan is made, the passport will be restricted for return to the U.S, and the repatriated U.S. citizen will not be issued a new passport until the loan is repaid.  Plane tickets purchased by the Embassy for direct return to the United States may be more expensive than a ticket purchased by a traveler.  The Embassy strongly advises travelers to obtain funds and purchase tickets themselves whenever possible.

      If you believe you qualify for an emergency repatriation loan, you may contact us at or come to the U.S. Embassy Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., except U.S. and Peruvian holidays and the last Wednesday of every month.

  • Welfare and Whereabouts

    Welfare and Whereabouts

    • If you are concerned about the welfare or whereabouts of an American citizen traveling or residing in Peru, please call the main Embassy number [011] (51-1) 618-2000 and follow the instructions of the phone tree to reach the American Citizen Services’ emergency line.  During regular business hours, your call will be answered by American Citizen Services' staff.  After 5:00 p.m., weekends and U.S. and Peruvian holidays, an Embassy duty officer will answer your call. 

      In order to help us locate the missing person, please be prepared to provide any information you have about the missing person’s:

      • • Identity
      • • Travel plans in Peru
      • • Destinations
      • • Travel dates
      • • Airline
      • • Contact information
      • • Hotel information

      American Citizen Services staff will do everything within our authority to help U.S. citizens in emergencies. Our services include making inquiries to local authorities regarding missing U.S. citizens.  

      Please note, however, that U.S. Federal Law (Privacy Act) limits what we can tell inquirers, even relatives, about our interactions with any U.S. citizen, including in some instances minors. The Embassy cannot release any information about a citizen's situation without his or her express written permission to waive the Privacy Act.

      Without this permission we can only notify the individual of your concern and suggest that they contact you directly.

      SCAMS in Peru: If you have been contacted to send money to a loved one in Peru, please see the link below first! Criminals commonly attempt to scam money from travelers' family members by posing as the traveler and claiming to be in trouble.  To learn more about this and other scams, please see the Department of State Fraud Warning.

SCAM - Arrested in Peru

  • If you have been contacted to send money to a loved one in Peru, please see the link below first!  Criminals commonly attempt to scam money from travelers' family members by posing as the traveler and claiming to be in trouble.  To learn more about this scam, please see the Department of State Fraud Warning.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.