Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Lost or Stolen Passports

Lost or Stolen Passports

If your passport with a U.S. visa (valid or expired) is stolen or lost, even if you have no immediate travel plans, please report the theft immediately to the Embassy via email to

Please include the following information, as well as the words "Lost" or "Stolen" in the subject line:

  • Full name (as it appears on your stolen or lost passport)
  • Date of the robbery or date in which you believe your passport with the visa was lostPassport number of your lost or stolen passport (if available)
  • Number of the lost or stolen passport (if you have it)
  • DNI or Carné de Extranjería number
  • Phone number
  • Police report (if available)

Please note that a visa cannot be transferred to a new passport.  To apply for a new visa, please follow the instructions available on our How to Apply.

If you need to travel to the United States for a medical emergency / treatment, or for business or study purposes, please click here for information on expedited appointments.

Please note that once your passport with a U.S. non-immigrant visa is reported lost or stolen to the Embassy, the visa will be electronically cancelled and you will not be able to use that visa to travel to the United States, even if it is later found.

For more information please visit the Lost and Stolen Passports, Visas, and Arrival-Departure Records section of the website.