Please note that applicants that present fraudulent documents to support their visa application, including back-dated passport stamps, will be found permanently ineligible for a visa to the United States. Applicants presenting fraudulent documents may be referred to local authorities for investigation and possible prosecution.
All Visa Applicants
All Visa Applicants, except Diplomatic and Official visas, must bring the following required documentation:
- Valid passport
- Printed confirmation sheet with a legible bar code. Do not print the entire application; you need only bring the confirmation page to your interview.
- Photograph. If the printed confirmation page does not show the photograph you uploaded, please bring a 2" x 2" (5cm x 5cm) color photograph. The color photo should be taken against a white background and should measure 2" x 2" (5cm x 5cm). The face must occupy 50% of the photograph with the subject directly facing the camera. Do not submit photos that were taken more than six months ago or that have been retouched (digitally altered). For more information please visit the photo requirements section of Travel.State.gov.
- Birth Certificate. Parents of minors must present the original birth certificate (of the minors) issued in the last three months. If a legal guardian applies on behalf a minor, both the legal guardian and the minor must be present for the interview with the court documents proving legal custody at that time.
- Please note that the U.S. visa application is interview-based rather than document-based. Except for those documents requested above and those specified under other visa classes, you do not need to bring documents related to your trip to the interview unless you are traveling for business and your employer is paying for your trip. If the interviewing officer would like to request a specific document from you, they will do this during the interview. While we would like to make the interview process as free of documents as possible, we do recommend bringing prior passports containing a previous U.S. visa or showing international travel. Additionally, please see information regarding Invitation Letters.
F, J and M Applicants
F, J, and M applicants must bring the above required documentation as well as:
- Proof that you have paid your non-refundable SEVIS fee for applicants seeking F, M, and certain J-1 visas. More information on the SEVIS fee is available at http://www.ice.gov/sevis. Payment can be made with credit card at https://www.fmjfee.com/index.jhtml.
- For F and M Applicants: A valid I-20 issued by a qualified institution in the United States, as well as evidence of the resources available to pay school fees.
- For J Applicants: A valid, ORIGINAL DS-2019 issued by a qualified institution in the United States.
H1B/H4, H2B & L1/L2 Applicants
Additional required documentation applies for all H1B and L1 applicants.
For current required documentation for all H2A applicants, please visit our H-2A visa application page.
Domestic Employee Applicants
Additional required documentation applies for all domestic employee applicants.