Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Travel Information and Messages

Travel Information and Messages

Are you a U.S. citizen planning a trip abroad? You will find numerous useful resources and planning tips at Travel.State.Gov.

Do you have specific questions about traveling to Peru – such as entry and exit requirements, or areas restricted for travel? Do you have health concerns, or are wondering about required vaccinations? Find the latest official information on this and many other topics related to travel in Peru at the Department of State's Country Specific Information – Peru page.

For important messages for U.S. Citizens living and traveling in Peru, please read:

Entering and Departing Peru

A valid passport is required to enter and depart Peru.  Tourists must also provide evidence of return or onward travel.  Travelers to Peru will receive a card from Peruvian Immigration upon arrival stating the length of approved stay (usually 90 days).  Extensions are not available, and overstays will result in fines.  Visit the Embassy of Peru website for the most current visa information.  Peru does not require any immunizations for entry, although it recommends vaccination against yellow fever.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Peru.

Minor Children

Minor children with Peruvian citizenship traveling with one or neither legal parent or legal guardian are required to have authorization from the non-traveling parent/guardian(s).  In Peru, the non-travelling parent/guardian(s) can complete this process at most public notaries or through travel authorization issued by a family court.  In the United States, the non-travelling parent/guardian(s) must visit the nearest Peruvian Consulate and complete a Permiso Notarial de Viaje.  Please be aware that these authorizations are valid for 30 days and one trip only.

If the minor child has only one legal parent or guardian, the travelling parent/guardian must present evidence of sole custody, as well as a completed Permiso Notarial de Viaje from a Peruvian notary or a Peruvian Consulate in the United States.

Peruvian immigration will not allow a child with Peruvian citizenship, even if the child is also a U.S. citizen, to depart Peru without the appropriate Permiso Notarial de Viaje, and the Embassy is unable to assist travelers who are prevented from traveling for lack of this document.

Replacing Peruvian Immigration Entry Stamps

Peruvian Immigration has changed the procedure for travelers exiting Peru with an emergency or a full-validity passport issued during their stay in Peru.

In cases of passports that have been lost or stolen, the passenger will not have the entry stamp with which they entered Peru.  In cases of newly issued passports, the entry stamp will be in the cancelled passport.  Therefore travelers must "transfer" the entry stamp to their new passport before they are allowed to pass through Peruvian immigration.  Previously, travelers were able to complete this process at the Jorge Chavez Airport in Lima.  Now, travelers must take their new passport to Peruvian Immigration headquarters at Av. España 730, Breña, Lima, open weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., in order to pay for and process the transfer.  The current fee is approximately US$8.00 or S/.21.00.

Travelers should be aware that Peruvian immigration authorities do not permit departure from Peru until all immigration matters, including fines and overstays, have been resolved.

Contact Us

You can stay in touch and get Embassy updates by checking the Embassy Lima website or Lima ACS Facebook page.

You can also get global updates at the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs website, where you can find the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts

Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, by calling the regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.  These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).  

If you are a U.S. Citizen in Peru with an emergency, you can call our hotline at [011] (51-1) 618-2000. 

For Embassy or Consular Agency in Cusco contact information and hours, please click here.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

U.S. citizens are encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)U.S. citizens without internet access may enroll directly at the nearest U.S. Embassy.  By enrolling, U.S. citizens make it easier for the embassy to contact them in case of emergency.

Stay up-to-date by bookmarking our Bureau of Consular Affairs website, which contains the current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts as well as the Worldwide Caution. 

Download our free Smart Traveler iPhone App to have travel information at your fingertips. 

For information on "What the Department of State Can and Can't Do in a Crisis," please visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs' Emergencies and Crisis page.

SCAM - Arrested in Peru

  • If you have been contacted to send money to a loved one in Peru, see the link below first!  Criminals commonly attempt to scam money from travelers' family members by posing as the traveler and claiming to be in trouble.  To learn more about this scam, please see the Department of State Fraud Warning.